*/ ?>

Thursday, January 13, 2011

B. Wils New kid on the soca block


Rap/hip-hop artiste, Brent Wilson, aka B. Wils, says “duces” as he poses for a picture. Photo: Nicole Drayton
Standing at six feet-three inches tall, with a slender frame, brown skin and a voice deep like the ocean, Brent Wilson, who goes by the sobriquet—B. Wils, is certainly popular with the women wherever he goes.
Needless to say, the hot “tottie” had some of my colleagues tripping over themselves to see him during his interview. But the 26-year-old, who hails from Fairways in Maraval, does not have an ego to match his looks. His calm and jovial nature makes it easy for anyone to include him on their radar.
Taking a break from rap and hip/hop, the former St Mary’s College student, who lived in New York for the past five years, is back home and trying his hand at soca, for Carnival 2K11.
His offering, Borrow ‘Yuh’ Gyal, which he penned two years ago, is already creating a buzz on some of the local urban frequencies, and even in Atlanta and New York.
“I left Trinidad to study the business side of music at St John’s University in Queens. While I was there I got a degree in Mass Communications and a diploma in Audio Engineering. I guess this is when I got bitten by the music bug,” revealed Wilson.
Why soca
As a rap/hiphop artiste Wilson said he appreciated all genres of music. He noted that writing a soca tune was not planned.  “I was trying to get my rap music on air when I came back from the US, but at the time radio stations were launching tunes for Carnival. “I remember an announcer jokingly suggested I should do a soca tune. So I went home and wrote a soca,” he giggled. “The original production work was done by Mercer Lee A Ping. He gave me the rights to the production work, and Richard Malary reproduced the track....

No comments:

Post a Comment